Food Handling Guidelines
- Wash hands thoroughly with warm water and soap before handling food or drink.
- Set-out placemats (with the aid of child). (Check placemats for allergies!)
- Set up table(s) with snacks, cups, napkins, and containers of juice/water/milk.
- After children have said thanks, serve beverage and snack. Please use gloves when handling unwrapped food. Food will be served family style.
- Juice needs to be 100% Real Fruit Juice and needs to be brought in an unopened container or to be mixed at school from a concentrate.
Healthy Snack Suggestions
Snacks served at school should be nutritious. It’s not too early to practice eating foods good for our bodies! Here are a few suggestions for snacks appropriate for school. Involve your child in selecting foods when you’re the snack parent. It’s also fun if you can coordinate the snack with our themes (for example: cherries on red day or pumpkin muffins during pumpkin week).
- Fruit kabobs with cheese
- Mini muffins low in sugar and fat
- Mini bagels with cream cheese
- Celery with peanut butter or cheese spread
- Apples with peanut butter
- Fresh fruit: kiwi, pineapple, banana, halved grapes, strawberries, pears, oranges, watermelon.
- Dried fruit: i.e. apricots, pineapple, pear, etc.
- Cheese: cubes, grated, sticks, string
- Rice cakes with spread
- Graham crackers with apple slices
**Please check your calendar for any allergies in your classroom**